Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

When You Die in Your Dreams (excerpt 14)


(excerpt 14. If you missed the previous installment, scroll down the blog to catch up)


As I sped through space on the way to Kryllium I again entered that lucid state, where the dreamer becomes aware he is dreaming and is able to manipulate his own dream.
I stopped the cruiser, stepped out into space, and looked around. I felt warm and free as I floated effortlessly above the spacecraft. I spread out my arms and with a simple thought I flew from star to star, bounced off Alpha Centauri, and zipped through the Red Spider Nebula, brushing its clouds away like a bunch of cobwebs. Stardust coated my skin like glitter. “This is fun,” I thought, “but it would be a lot more fun with a friend.” Instantly Janelle appeared next to me. I held her hand and we soared through the universe, seeing celestial wonders which heretofore only God himself had ever seen.
The constellations took on the shapes of the characters we ascribe to them and became animated. Orion the Great Hunter jumped on Pegasus the Flying Horse, and along with Canis Major and Canis Minor, his hunting dogs, chased Taurus the Bull throughout the universe. Stars scattered like sparks beneath the hooves of the great beasts as they thundered through the heavens. Scorpio, the celestial venomous arachnid chased Orion from the night sky, signifying the return of summer.
Cygnus the Swan, a sparkling Northern Cross beaming in his form, paddled past us.
Hercules, kneeling in prayer to his father Zeus for help in battle against two giants, cast an imposing form across the universe.
Cassiopeia, primping and preening for the rest of the constellations, waited patiently, certain that Hercules would come to her after his battle was won. She was, after all, the most beautiful queen in the universe.
Andromeda the Princess, chained to a massive asteroid, was overwrought as she waited to be eaten by the monster Cetus. Perseus swooped in, slew the great beast, and saved the damsel in distress.
Sagittarius the Archer took aim at Leo the Lion and drew back his bow. He smiled at us, then relented and returned the arrow to his quiver.
Gemini the Twins, united in the heavens for eternity, placidly watched the scenes play out among the other constellations.
Libra the Goddess of justice stood silent and stoic, holding the scales of truth. On one side laid the head of the monster Cetus. On the other side laid the head of Perseus. Perseus had slain the monster Cetus to save Andromeda. In the end justice was required. The scales hung in favor of Perseus.
A bright light flashed throughout the heavens and then disappeared. I closed my eyes, rubbed them, and then opened them. Again the dreamy celestial drama was interrupted as the universe seemed to fracture, revealing another dimension behind the scenes. I saw brilliant white light everywhere. A magnificent being with long silvery hair, dressed in a flowing ivory robe, controlled the stars with strings; much like a marionette directs the puppets in his charge. I felt a sense of peace I'd never experienced. I didn't understand what I was seeing, but I knew that I wanted to be there. I could not escape the feeling that I would be there soon. The vast cosmos cracked and everything flashed again and suddenly the bright light disappeared and all that was visible was the dark, ethereal expanse of the galaxies.
I turned to Janelle and pulled her close to me. The strands of her hair glowed like the tails of a thousand comets. Our eyes locked into one another's like tractor beams. As I pressed my lips to hers I closed my eyes to enjoy the pleasure of her kiss.
I opened my eyes and found myself alone in the Dormez-Vous, speeding toward Kryllium, unaware I was in a dream, with no memory of my jaunt through the galaxy with my blonde goddess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment before you leave. I welcome all praise, and most constructive criticism.