Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

When You Die in Your Dreams (excerpt 13)


(excerpt 13. If you missed the previous installment, scroll down the blog to catch up)


She looked down her nose at me as she pushed the button on her headset to call back to the editor. About that time a beautiful woman with long legs and long blonde hair walked through a set of double doors. Her blue eyes lit up as she sprinted toward me. “Parker!” Janelle shrieked as she threw her arms around me. “What are you doing here?”
“You need to come with me,” I said firmly.
“Ooh. Are you whisking me away for a romantic weekend?”
“I wish that were the case.”
“What's this about? Why are you so serious?”
“Do you trust me?”
“Of course I do.”
“I'll explain on the way to the airport,” I said as we got into a cab. I recounted to Janelle what had transpired since I saw her on the moon.
“That's terrible. Are your parents okay?”
“They're fine.”
“Who would want to have me killed? Why would anyone want to have me killed?”
As she spoke I experienced a strange sensation. For a second, I thought I was dreaming. This can't be a dream, I thought, it is so real, and I'm awake. The thought passed. We got out of the cab, made our way through the terminal to our gate and boarded our flight. We rolled down the runway, lifted off, and soared into the sunny skies, leaving Terra Firma behind.
“Parker?” Janelle said.
“Yes,” I answered.
“You never answered my question.”
“Huh,” I replied, lost in reverie, again sensing that things were not as they seemed.
“Who would want to have me killed and why?”
“I'm sorry. I can't tell you who; the less you know the better. As for the why: I don't know myself. But I'm going to take care of things. I want you to stay with a friend of mine until this is all over.”
“Is that where you're taking me?”
“I need to warn you. Theron's a little odd, but you'll be safe at his hideout. My parents are there also.”
“You're taking me to meet your parents? Is this some elaborate scheme to move our relationship to the next level?” She smiled and batted her eyes playfully.
“No. My parents are there because their lives are in danger, too.”
There it was again. That feeling that I was in a dream and aware of the fact that I was in a dream. I decided to try something that I would only be able to do if I was dreaming. I punched my fist through the ceiling of the plane and peeled the outer shell back like a banana. I climbed through the hole in the roof and stood on top of the fuselage. I knew we were flying at about 500 miles per hour, so standing on top of the plane was the equivalent of standing on the ground in a 500 mile per hour wind. I was unfazed, hardly a hair out of place. I looked out into the sky all around me and saw the scene repeated countless times as when you look into a mirror reflected into another mirror, yielding a glimpse into infinity. This is definitely a dream, I thought. I jumped back down into the cabin to tell Janelle, but as soon as I landed in my seat my cognizance left me and I was again unaware that I was dreaming. I looked up at the ceiling above me – nothing there but a couple of lights and little fans you control by twisting them.
“Parker. Parker!”
“What is it?”
“Have you heard a word I've said?”
“I'm sorry. I guess I was somewhere else.”
“I need to call the magazine and tell them where I'll be in case they need me.”
“No!” I snapped. “We can't take any chances. Your people will just have to worry for a little while. This will all be over soon enough.”
Janelle's eyes watered and her lips quivered as the gravity of her situation finally sank in. I put my arm around her and held her close to me.
“You'll be safe. I promise. I am going to take care of the people who want to hurt you so you will never have to worry again.”
She buried her head in the side of my chest. “I feel so safe with you,” she whispered.
We arrived at Theron's hideout deep in the Rocky Mountains and waited outside for Theron to confirm our identity.
“Do you think something happened to them?” Janelle asked nervously.
“No,” I replied.  “It's by design that the place appears abandoned. Theron is very careful.
About five minutes later my old friend emerged from the shadows to welcome us.
“Janelle, this is Theron,” I said.
“Nice to meet you, Ma'am,” Theron said, as he stuck out his hand to shake hers. He looked above her head and then sharply down and to the left with that nervous tick of his.
“Nice to meet you, Theron,” Janelle said as she shook his hand. “Parker's told me a lot about you.”
Theron giggled.
“I'll be back as soon as I can,” I said to Theron. “Take care of them.”
“They'll be safe with me,” he replied.
“I know they will.” I took Janelle in my arms and kissed her passionately. When I pulled back her eyes were misty. “I'll be back before you know it, baby,” I said.
“I'm worried, Parker. Do you really have to go?”
“If I don't take care of this once and for all we'll be looking over our shoulders for the rest of our lives.”
“You better come back,” she said.
“How could I not come back to those blue eyes?” I said as I stared into her soul.
Tears streamed down her cheeks. I hopped into the Dormez-Vous and after lifting off the ground, I kicked in the afterburners and before I knew it I was pulling free from Earth's grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment before you leave. I welcome all praise, and most constructive criticism.